The first temple on the Ashtavinayaka Yatra pilgrimage route is the Mayureshwar temple, which is also called the Mayureshwar temple. It was built when the Bahmani dynasty, which was started by Alauddin Hasan, was in charge. Alauddin Hasan began the Bahmani kingdom in the year 1347. His title said that the kingdom was made of black stone, and this temple is in the middle of Moreshwar mandir. From a distance, it looks like a mosque because it has four minarets on each side. It is also protected by a wall that is 50 feet tall.
The statue of Nandi, Lord Shiva’s bull, can be found right in front of the entrance to this Lord Ganesh temple. This is something that no other temple has. Most of the time, you can only find Nandi in Lord Shiva’s temples. This may be the only temple to Lord Ganesha with a statue of Nandi at the entrance.
The statue of Lord Ganesha is on top of a peacock in the main temple. Since the word for peacock in Hindi and Sanskrit is “Mor” or “Mayur,” the name Moreshwar or Mayureshwar means “peacock god.” The Nagaraja, whose name means “Snake God,” also guards the idol. It also has statues of Riddhi, who represents success, and Siddhi, who represents prosperity.
Shree Ganesha is also known as “Siddhi-daata,” which means “the one who gives success.” This temple is 55 km from Pune and is near the river Karha. Legend has it that there were a lot of peacocks in this area in the past, which is why it is called shree mayureshwar or moreshwar.
Read more: Famous temples of Maharashtra
History of the Morgaon Ganpati Temple, Maharashtra
Morya Gosavi was a well-known Ganapatya saint, according to history. Before he moved to Chinchwad, he went to the Morgaon Ganesha temple to pray. He built a new shrine there. The Brahmin Peshwas, who ruled the area around Pune, helped support this temple and other temples in the area.
Ganesha Purana says that Lord Ganesha took the form of Mayureshwar, who had six arms and a white skin colour. He was born in the Treta Yuga so that he could kill Sindhu, a demon. The Lord rode down on a peacock and fought Sindhu in a battle, which he won.
Another important Ganapatya legend says that Lord Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, the Divine Mother Devi, and Surya all meditated at Morgaon to learn more about who made them and why they were here. Then Lord Ganesha showed up in the form of an Omkara flame and gave them his blessing.
Significance of the Mayureshwar Ganesha Temple
The Morgaon Ganapati Temple is important because it has minarets at each corner and is surrounded by a huge wall made of stones. The four gates, which show the four stages of life, each have a picture of Ganesha facing a cardinal direction. Each form has something to do with life’s goals. It is an Asthavinayaka temple made of a single stone, and the central image of the Lord in the Garbhagriha faces north.
The Morgaon Ganpati temple is special because it has stone walls around it. The first temple on the Asthavinayaka Yatra is the Morgaon Ganpati temple.
There are two Deepmalas in the courtyard and a 6-foot mouse in front of the temple. On the outside of the temple gates, a huge statue of Nandi faces the Lord. Lord Ganesha is shown in 23 different ways by the idols that are set up around the assembly hall. Gods Lord Vishnu and Lakshmi now live in an assembly hall that was built recently.
Shri Moreshwar Ganpati Temple Timings
|Darshan (Prakshal Puja)||5:00 AM to 10:00 PM|
|Shodashopachar Puja Morning||7:00 AM|
|Shodashopachar Puja Noon||12:00 PM|
|Mahaprasada||12:00 PM to 2:00 PM|
|Panchopachar Puja||8:00 PM|
|Samudaik Evening Aarti||7:30 PM|
|Shej Aarti||10:00 PM|
|Morning Hours||5:00 AM to 12:00 PM|
|Evening Hours||3:00 PM to 10:00 PM|
Important festivals of Moreshwar Temple
- Ganesh Jayanti is the day when Lord Ganesha’s birthday is celebrated. Thousands of devotees gather at the temple for this festival. It’s one of the most important celebrations that happen in January or February.
- Ganesh Chaturthi is a big celebration at this temple. It usually happens in August or September. It is usually celebrated for five days and is the first of a number of Hindu holidays.
- Bhadrapada Month Celebrations: Every year, people from far away come to this spot to pray and ask the Almighty to bless them. It happens in the Hindu month of Bhadrapada, which is August/September, and the celebrations last for more than a month. The Chinchwad Deosthan Trust is a place where devotees can give money and get a receipt. The pilgrims can get the Prasad by mail.
- Vijayadasami – Vijayadasami is another major festival in Shri Mayureshwar mandir. It is held in September or October, around the same time as Navaratri, which is a very important Hindu holiday.
How to Reach Morgaon Ashtavinayak Temple?
- By Air: Lohegaon Airport is 53 km from the Mayureshwar temple and is the airport that is closest to Pune.
- Train: The nearest train station is Uruli Railway Station Junction, which is 29 km from the temple.
- By Road: From Pune to Baramati, you can take a bus, a private car, a taxi, or a cab. There is 64 km between Baramati and Pune.
Address: Shree Mayureshwar Ganapati Temple, Morgaon, Taluka Baramati, Pune, Maharashtra 412304
Phone Number: 02112279986, 09657254563
Language Spoken: Marathi, Hindi, English